Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> alternator dead ???
SirAndy
post Jan 16 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

my volt-meter dropped to ~10V while driving, dead battery i thought ...

i measured the battery with the car turned off, 12.5V on the terminals.
i started the car, 11.5V on the terminals. checked at the alternator, 11.5V ...

alternator dying ???
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post Jan 16 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

12.5 is a bit low for a battery. I'd first try charging the battery overnight, (disconected from car) and see if it gets up to about 13-14 volts if it still remains at 12.5 volts, then i would think the battery is on its way out.
I'd do this first, cause it is easy, just set it up over nights, and see what yu have in the morning.

Strange that it dropped so much when you ran the car, does it drop even more when head lights are on? changes with higher rpm?

A drying battery can pull down teh voltage, as one cell of the six may be shorted. This prevents full voltage in a charge

. If battery is good, before chucking the alternator, make sure the connections including the ground strap is good.

you could also swap a known good battery in today if you don't want to wait overnight for a charge, and see if situation is fixed with that. (I assume most 914'ers have spare cars for a spare battery source) Be sure to swap out teh battery, not just jumper it to the existing one, casue if teh existing one is shorting, it will also draw down teh voltage on the other battery.

good luck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:06 PM