Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hey Turbo experts: I need intercooler and structural advise!, for twin turbo neo914-6...
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #1

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

The 2000 Audi S4 drivetrain fits with no major interference issues except where the stock intercoolers mount on either side of the engine. In the 914 this is the location where the "shelf" is located. I was wondering if I can cut the sidewall to the inside of the flare where I planned to mount these intercoolers. Would this significantly weaken that area? I actually would like to cut more than hatched area...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
neo914-6
post Apr 15 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #2

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

Guys,

Thanks for the thumbs up and input. It's really appreciated and helps my motivation to finish. I sometimes wonder if this project is worth posting as it opposes what most 914 owners are trying to accomplish.

I was incorrect to say "from" water to air IC, it is currently air to air. Water cooling will complicate the plumbing and I haven't even dealt with the heater yet. Considering the engine heat and yes the turbos will multipy that, if I cut the sidewall it will primarily be for a little extra space for the intercoolers. And I thought the "bigass flares" would be big enough for the ~7" wide IC's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I can put another cover on it to insulate them from the heat which will re-strengthen that wall.

I'm going to try stock location first and as Sonu suggests the plumbing can be re-routed. If I relocate them too far from the engine, the air will have to travel even further. Maybe supplemental inline cooling would work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You can see the IC's on either side in this wrecked Audi

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:07 AM