Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MPS testing and where get rebuilt, Slight loss of vacuum after 5 min ? bad MPS
jsf322
post Aug 18 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,220

I just checked my MPS because my car is running rich, burns a lot of fuel, and idles very poorly especially when warm. The CHT was bad and I replaced that. IT improved the stalling I had before replacing it, but the car is still rich and idles very unpredictably. I put 15mm Hg on the MPS and it lost about 1/2 mm in the first minute and 4-5mm within 5 minutes. Would that be considered a bad MPS. If so does anyone have experinece with rebuilt units from AA or Preformance Products. AA is about $40 cheaper. Thanks for any input.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jsf322
post Aug 19 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,220

okay here is some more information. The valves were adjusted about 500 miles ago as well as the timing checked and the dwell set. I tested the temp sensor at the throttle body and it gave the correct numbers. The CHT I replaced because the wire going into it was having issues and when it moved slightly the car would stall. Now it does not stall. When I first start the car it dies and will immediately restart and stay running. Sometimes if I try to move it right away it will pop back a little if I do not give it a lot of gas. after a minute or two of running there is no problem with that. There are times when it will idle rock steady, but if I push the pedal down at all when it is idling well it will immediately start to go up and down on idel from almost 0 to about 1000 rpm. When I pull up to a stop the car drops idle for a moment to almost a stall and catches and is okay but idle wanders. I can smell it running rich and it is only getting about 21-23 mpg. I will check the ECU and MPS to see if the numbers match but from what I know of the car they are original to the car. Th engine only has 44K original miles and not much was done to it over the years. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines and fuel lines except the ones in the tunnel because they were amazingly good. The fuel pressure is about 30-31 lb. The car has plenty of power when driving and no hesitation at any point in the full RPM range after idle.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 19 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jsf322 @ Aug 18 2006, 11:35 PM) *

okay here is some more information. The valves were adjusted about 500 miles ago as well as the timing checked and the dwell set. I tested the temp sensor at the throttle body and it gave the correct numbers. The CHT I replaced because the wire going into it was having issues and when it moved slightly the car would stall. Now it does not stall. When I first start the car it dies and will immediately restart and stay running. Sometimes if I try to move it right away it will pop back a little if I do not give it a lot of gas. after a minute or two of running there is no problem with that. There are times when it will idle rock steady, but if I push the pedal down at all when it is idling well it will immediately start to go up and down on idel from almost 0 to about 1000 rpm. When I pull up to a stop the car drops idle for a moment to almost a stall and catches and is okay but idle wanders. I can smell it running rich and it is only getting about 21-23 mpg. I will check the ECU and MPS to see if the numbers match but from what I know of the car they are original to the car. Th engine only has 44K original miles and not much was done to it over the years. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines and fuel lines except the ones in the tunnel because they were amazingly good. The fuel pressure is about 30-31 lb. The car has plenty of power when driving and no hesitation at any point in the full RPM range after idle.

1. change out the points to a Crane optical points replacement. Electronic ignition is a big help.
2. Set the idle mix when the engine is hot, after 15 mins of driving, AAR valve is closed.
Use a CO meter if you can get one, go to a shop etc.....or
pull over after the car is hot and reset the idle ECU screw to where the engine idles good and reset the idle speed to 950. Do it a couple of times. The idle knob on the ECU should be close to the factory notch.

It sounds like the idle mix is rich a bit. Make damn sure the vacuum hoses are setup correctly.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
jsf322   MPS testing and where get rebuilt   Aug 18 2006, 02:18 PM
Dr Evil   You can send it to Bleyseng here on the board. He ...   Aug 18 2006, 02:36 PM
bondo   I wouldn't consider that unacceptable, but tha...   Aug 18 2006, 02:46 PM
Demick   That is a very slow leak. A leak that slow will n...   Aug 18 2006, 03:07 PM
jsf322   I thought that that may not be a fast enough leak,...   Aug 18 2006, 03:40 PM
Bleyseng   ok, did it run fine before? Do the numbers for th...   Aug 18 2006, 06:18 PM
BMXerror   Being a recent Bleyseng customer that is having th...   Aug 18 2006, 06:32 PM
Bleyseng   You should have about 15hg at idle with a steady n...   Aug 18 2006, 08:21 PM
jsf322   okay here is some more information. The valves we...   Aug 19 2006, 12:35 AM
Bleyseng  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:53 PM