Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> RX8 Motor Swap, Anyone Done It, or Thought about it?
cdmcse
post Aug 23 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,305

Is anyone familiar with the RX-8 Motor? I was considering it for a swap.

Anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same as older rotary motors?

It seems like it would be fun engine in the 914.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Rand
post Aug 23 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Hmmm... .Looking forward to some replies.

Rotary swaps have been done. Although it's tough to find much in the way of documented progress. Here is one resource.

I almost went that route because my buddies have made crazy power cheaply with them. They ruled the Corvallis OR AX scene for a couple years in a "beater" RX3.

I love the rotaries. But I want more torque. I am thinking about building a super-light "Locost" (Lotus 7) project with a tear ported 13b. I think that fits well. Say 200ish HP in a super-light car with a super-short motor that can be positioned well for weight distribution.

As far as the RX8 itself... I was personally disappointed... Mazda drops the RX7, and finally comes out with the RX8, all the expected hype... all the hopes of crazy new rotary power... and it turned out to be a bit of a let down. While it has potential, I think it should have had more power out of the box.

Every time this comes up, I like to ping the rotary guys. There is rotary 914 talk here and there, but I wish there were more results. Soloracer is working on a killer tri-rotor project... It has sick potential, but the progress pings aren't returning. Hopefully we'll hear about the progress someday.

After all my thoughts on this, I have temporarily concluded that there are only three logical choices for big power in a 914 with a reasonable swap project.

1. RAT big four
2. Subaru
3. V8

Your driving style and budget determine your choice pretty easily.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
cdmcse   RX8 Motor Swap   Aug 23 2006, 04:07 PM
Rand   Hmmm... .Looking forward to some replies. Rotary ...   Aug 23 2006, 04:33 PM
Crazyhippy   :hijacked: There is a Red Rotary powered 7 (supe...   Aug 23 2006, 05:43 PM
Rotary'14   I do believe the transmission bolt pattern is the ...   Aug 23 2006, 07:00 PM
bd1308   So how fuel efficient are we talking? My buddy ha...   Aug 23 2006, 08:58 PM
cdmcse  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:10 AM