Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Factory Limited Slip? Quaife? What?, What should I install?
SandyI
post Sep 19 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,322

For all you tranny experts... My '75 914 w/3.2 is now ready for it's 901 tranny rebuild, which will include a limited slip of some kind. My first choice is a factory LSD but it seems like it's easier to find a needle in a haystack. So while I look for one, I'm also open to alternate suggestions on the best way to get the most from my 3.2 which I run with the POC at Streets of Willow and "Big" Willow. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
brant
post Sep 19 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

you can find factory ones.
call car quipt they always have.
you can buy a guard ZF style for about the same price as a factory.

I've been amazed at the difference in driving style between the different diffs out there.
part of the answer depends upon what driving style you want/like

a really high% ZF is going to be similar to a locker
a quaffe is very different.
a locker is more predictable in mid corner but requires more sliding
a quaffe can be felt in mid corner going on and off.

I recently changed to a quaffe
its taking me a bit to get used to
I expect to ultimately be faster, but at this point my lap times are only equal to those of my locker (this after 4 days of events)

I know when I went to the locker it took about 8 days of use to get the hang of it. I expect to improve yet with the quaffe, but just need more time.

I put the car off last week on saturday because the quaffe requires me to apply full throttle before apex or else it feels tail happy. I imagine it is makes the car "feel" much like an early 911. The locker didn't require this style if you messed up. Last week I had messed up my turn in at 110mph and let off of the gas only to have the car walk off of the track

so you have to committ and then floor it to make the corner.
taking me a bit of time to get used to it.

I could ramble on for hours
but the bottom line is that the two diffs require vastly different techniques to get the most out of them.

I switched because my theory is that it takes anywhere from 200-300hp to really be faster with a locker and overcome the drag created... conversely I think (or hope) that a low hp 2.0/6 like mine can eventually be faster due to saving that same drag with the use of a quaffe.

on and on.....

brant
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SandyI   Factory Limited Slip? Quaife? What?   Sep 19 2006, 02:06 PM
brant   you can find factory ones. call car quipt they alw...   Sep 19 2006, 03:16 PM
AndrewBlyholder  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:05 AM