Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A Racing Video, Why there are rules
KenH
post Oct 5 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

This is for those who:

1. Do not have time to go to Ground School
2. Think the Rules of racing should be ignored
3. Think the are to many rules
4. Think a "steet car" is good enough
5. Wonder why they need to have a few sessions with an instructor
6. Why extra safety equipment is required

The drivers in this video are VERY experienced - what if it had been you???

http://www.porscheracingclub.com/phpBBS2/v...php?p=2193#2193

Ken
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Trekkor
post Oct 6 2006, 12:11 AM
Post #2

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I also believe the Ground School is good.

GGR requires it.

The "other" groups do not.

KT
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 6 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 5 2006, 11:11 PM) *

GGR requires it.

KT

Not true. The "other groups" just don't require a separate day and trip to the Bay area to do the ground school. Some that have attended have questioned the value (lots of wasted time and bench racing) and if it could not just be done on the track day at the track. As long as the requirement is in place for a separate day in a remote location to many of us, many will choose another path.
To imply that GGR is the only safe group out there is crap.
None of the things mentioned would have changed this incident. What the point of even saying those things I don't get.
I know and trust the people with Trackmasters, I know and trust the people with NASA. I know and trust our track people in SVR. I know nothing of GGR DE except that I have to go to a separate date "Ground School" in Livermore or some other such place. Sorry. Not going to happen. And I am not alone in that sentiment.
When GGR objected to SVR holding track events we offered to have them come up to Sacramento and do their "Ground School" here for our members who wanted to do DE. That was more than a year ago and we have not heard another word. By the way I am pretty sure that boat has sailed so don't offer now.
So to you people who want to imply that some group is unsafe because they don't do it the way you do I say step up to the mike and say it out loud. I can put you in touch directly with Fredrick Rausch or Doug Gale and you can tell them to their face that you don't think they operate safely. If you don't have the stones to say it directly, leave the car on the trailer. You will not be missed. Seems to me the only incidents I have ever heard about are at GGR or PRC events anyway. Guess the people involved must have been bench racing during "Ground School".

Sorry, Rant off. But if you want to throw dirt on some groups reputation at least have the guts to name them instead of saying your safe and implying others aren't. That is crap.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 6 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 6 2006, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 5 2006, 11:11 PM) *

GGR requires it.

KT

Not true. The "other groups" just don't require a separate day and trip to the Bay area to do the ground school. Some that have attended have questioned the value (lots of wasted time and bench racing) and if it could not just be done on the track day at the track. As long as the requirement is in place for a separate day in a remote location to many of us, many will choose another path.
To imply that GGR is the only safe group out there is crap.
None of the things mentioned would have changed this incident. What the point of even saying those things I don't get.
I know and trust the people with Trackmasters, I know and trust the people with NASA. I know and trust our track people in SVR. I know nothing of GGR DE except that I have to go to a separate date "Ground School" in Livermore or some other such place. Sorry. Not going to happen. And I am not alone in that sentiment.
When GGR objected to SVR holding track events we offered to have them come up to Sacramento and do their "Ground School" here for our members who wanted to do DE. That was more than a year ago and we have not heard another word. By the way I am pretty sure that boat has sailed so don't offer now.
So to you people who want to imply that some group is unsafe because they don't do it the way you do I say step up to the mike and say it out loud. I can put you in touch directly with Fredrick Rausch or Doug Gale and you can tell them to their face that you don't think they operate safely. If you don't have the stones to say it directly, leave the car on the trailer. You will not be missed. Seems to me the only incidents I have ever heard about are at GGR or PRC events anyway. Guess the people involved must have been bench racing during "Ground School".

Sorry, Rant off. But if you want to throw dirt on some groups reputation at least have the guts to name them instead of saying your safe and implying others aren't. That is crap.

I must be missing something, but while reading the posts I didn't see anything that implied that "other" groups are unsafe.

Trekkor said:

"I also believe the Ground School is good.

GGR requires it.

The "other" groups do not."

I don't read this as saying all the other groups are unsafe.

Nathan asked a few questions as to whether or not someone was pointing a finger, that weren't answered, but I believe the original intent of this posting was to address comments that were made in another another posting concerning whether or not "ground school" was necessary, given the amount of time it requires.

And time it does take and of course there is always a certain amount of bench racing that goes on in ground school, but for me, having never driven on the track, it was invaluable.

Hank Watts taught the classes I attended and we all learned a great deal, but most importantly we all gained an appreciation and respect for track events. I learned that this is serious stuff not to be taken lightly.

I'm sure, although I don't have direct experience, other groups are also very safety conscience and go through the safety elements/ rules before they let someone on the track.

If they didn't then it’s obvious that the resulting carnage would end events for all of us, but that isn't happening. Sure, there will always be problems, but given the number of laps done each year at DE’s and track days, I’d bet the record is pretty good (statically) as compared to any other “dangerous or risky” sport.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
KenH   A Racing Video   Oct 5 2006, 07:33 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   :agree: :popcorn:   Oct 5 2006, 07:50 PM
nebreitling   okay, i'll bite... to whom is this post direc...   Oct 5 2006, 08:42 PM
trekkor   I'm downloading it now... KT   Oct 5 2006, 08:49 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   I think that #s 1,5 and 6 are most appropriate. :)   Oct 5 2006, 08:53 PM
nebreitling   well, yeah: shit happens on the track. :confuse...   Oct 5 2006, 09:13 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   None of those things would have really changed the...   Oct 5 2006, 09:24 PM
nebreitling  
  Oct 5 2006, 10:27 PM
nebreitling   i'm with trek on that one. assuming a fair bi...   Oct 5 2006, 10:47 PM
KenH   The speeds and car positions for this accident are...   Oct 5 2006, 11:32 PM
trekkor   I also believe the Ground School is good. GGR req...   Oct 6 2006, 12:11 AM
Rotten Robby  
  Oct 6 2006, 08:27 AM
Randal  
  Oct 9 2006, 09:42 AM
KenH   The original point was to show that even experienc...   Oct 9 2006, 10:45 AM
nine14cats   Hi Rob, Like pretty much everyone else, my work s...   Oct 9 2006, 01:22 PM
trekkor   Like I said before. I will try to run with GGR DE/...   Oct 9 2006, 05:55 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:07 PM