Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> full flow systems, plumming questions
41ghost
post Mar 27 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,345

on a 914 , putting a full flow oil system on , what is a good way to rought your oil lines if you are going to place the oil cooler and fan next to the tranny on the passenger side, will have a tangerine header system installed also.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jake Raby
post Mar 27 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Capn,
Actually the stock oil system is not full flow..

The stock system depends on the pressure relief to moderate the oil through the oil cooler and at pressure above 45 PSI a portion of oil is bypassed around the cooler.

The stock oil filter housing is also not full flow as it depends on it's on pressure relief system that is installed in the oil filter housing/adaptor...

A true full flow system like we have perfected and use on every engine we build will cool ALL the oil and filter ALL the oil and is not dependant upon the factory pressure relief system at all to dictate the volume of oil that will be filtered or cooled.

In a crude test we did way back in 1998 we were able to measure a volume increase with this arrangement of over 25% when compared to the same engine with a full stock system. The removal of the 45 and 90 degree bends within the stock system is a huge benefit, especially in keeping bearings alive when open clearances are used.

I have an article on full flow oiling ready to release on my forum in the next 10 days or so... As far as the cooler mounting:
I have mounted oil coolers in 914s in this location with great luck and engines up to 200HP. The key to making this work well is using an efficient oil cooler like the Setrab which is superior in this location.

I like to keep the cooler close to the engine, if that means you need a more efficient oil coooler to position in that area you'll be much better off than running 20' of oil line to the front of the car and back to the engine.

I ran the cooler in my personal 914 in this location with 5 different test engines without any issues, even in extreme heat for long periods of time and on the track.
No disrespect meant to the Capn' in this post- he probably has not familiarized himself with the way we do the full flow system because he hasn't needed to. The stock system works well for most people, but we push the envelope all the time and the oil system is constatntly being manipulated for better results to support the power and revs our engines make.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:40 PM