Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Leatherette repair, Blistering heat vs. leatherette yields a split to repair
Jasfsmith
post Jul 17 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

A journey from Maine to San Diego and back during the hottest time of year in a heat wave in the Soutwest has resulted in a small split in leatherette on the bolester of my seat.

Any suggestions on repair?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 24 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

James,
I just finished talking with the vinyl/leather repair vendor who calls weekly at our dealership to do upholstery repairs on our used car trade-ins. As we talked, he finished up a leather tear fix on about a 10 year old Nissan Maxima........virtually undetectable.
Anyhow, I asked him about any commercially available product that you might be able to use to effect your repair. I was not surprised when he answered "No, not really", thinking that he was probably protecting his livelihood and market, though I told him it was for an acquaintance who lived out of town (yeah, sure he probably thought).
In his defense, however, you should see the back of the truck that he works out of. He has hundreds of bottles of upholstery dyes/colors and no doubt very many "patches" or "tapes" that he uses to bind the tear. He also has several different heating sources ranging from what looks like a hair dryer, to a sun lamp to a heat gun. BTW, he typically charges us, the dealer, $50-$100 to do nominal repairs on upholstery.
Finishing up our conversation, I asked him for suggestions on your account. He offered that your best course of action would be to contact a high end N/C dealer (M-B, Porsche, BMW, etc.) and see if they can arrange the repair for you or give you a contact that you can deal with directly. Our own vendor, BTW, does make "house calls" so maybe if you can find a source near you, the repair can be made under your watchful eye.
I"m sorry that I haven't been able to provide you with anything more concrete than this, but I hope it will give you some direction.

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:22 AM