Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any Advantage to Rocker Spacers?
vesnyder
post Oct 4 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Any advantage to the aluminum rocker spacers in lieu of the stock springs? For the price (~$20) seems like a no brainer if there is any advantage at all?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jk76.914
post Oct 5 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

I think the VW hydros started the change to the solid spacers. Makes sense I guess, since with a solid lifter, the valve train is unloaded two-thirds of the time, and the spring has that time to reposition the rocker against the pedestal. With hydros, there is some loading all the time, and possibly the rocker can "walk" off the valve tip.

The VW-hydro version has a thrust washer against the rocker, followed by a spring washer, followed by the spacer, another spring washer, another thrust washer and then the other rocker. This is the type I used in my hydro conversion. I polished one surface of the thrust washers and also the inboard edges of the rockers for the same reason Jake describes- to max out the oil pressure in the rocker and hopefully enhance delivery to the valve end of the rocker.

I believe that there are aftermarket versions that are simply a close fitting tube- no spring washers or thrust washers. Seems much simpler and I can't think of any downside vs. the VW setup.

Just some personal opinions.....
Jim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 08:09 AM