Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Horsepower and Torque.
DerekKim
post Oct 27 2007, 02:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,635

So I was talking to a friend this morning... 2am... I realize that I understand roughly in my head what torque and horsepower do... but was exactly does each one do... in Laman's terms.

Any help would be appreciated! Just trying to learn somethign and expand my knowledge to a better understanding.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dfwteenerpr
post Oct 27 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,252

He asked for Layman's terms, I'll try.

Torque is what you feel when you step on the gas. Basically the power of the explosion pushing down the piston. If you have the same explosion pushing on the piston, A longer stroke on the crankshaft means more torque. Torque will fall off when engine mechanicals no longer have the ability to maintain the size of the explosion.

HP is the ability of the engine to maintain torque as engine speed increases. In other words, to maintain the size of the explosion to higher rates of Torque production, as in RPM's. So the ability to turn more RPM's mean higher HP. You won't feel this when you step on the gas, but as you wind thru the gear.

Does that make sense?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:42 AM