Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Won't start - 72 FI, used to start before engine drop
beemie96
post Dec 6 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,350

Interesting deal here:

Car ran a couple of years back but would die after driving it for about 2 miles. It idled fine for upwards of 20 minutes. I dropped the motor to clean everything off thinking maybe it was getting hot under load.

Now - engine is back in the car and it won't start. I got it to fire a bit by spraying gas into the intake but it dies pretty quickly.

checked for spark and have it at the end of all 4 plug wires (haven't pulled plugs)
I have fuel at all points i checked - injector banks, return line, etc. haven't checked actual fuel pressure - going to look at procuring a pressure tester - but the 1 and 2 injectors do spray ... and this is the part that confuses me - the 1 injector spurts when the key first goes to 'on' and the 2 injector spurts once while trying to crank, but then nothing. They don't spit out any more fuel while I'm trying to start the car.

I've been reading around here a bit and online and at pbanders site and I have a couple things I plan to check:

- double check the ground area under the intake manifold and clean all that up
- cold start injector - see if it's throwing fuel - it should be getting power while the starter is going, right?

I was also suspecting the trigger points - or maybe the connections between the points and wherever their signals go. Since the car ran before I don't think that they'd be 'bad', but I had a lot of stuff disconnected for a while during the cleaning of the engine and something may not be 'seated' properly.

So - I was hoping for some guidance on what to check while I'm in there.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:50 PM