Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Added heat to my header'd -4
geniusanthony
post Jan 4 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #1

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So this weekend I did a lot of tinkering to put my curiosity to bed on heating a car with headers. I remember reading from Dan Root's -6 conversion thread that he welded some pipe to his headers and pushed air through with a stock heater fan.

Sorry no pics now but, I can explain somewhat. I tacked a bent pipe in perhaps 20 places along the length of this bent pipe to the left hand primary tubes. I did insulate the header plus pipe in 1" header wrap. When I attached the blower and ran at idle for maybe 10 minutes I measured the duct surface temp at the driver footwell to be 87 deg. with a good supply of air flowing out. I do think that perhaps the dual oulet blower ( 1 side is capped) from an early car does blow a bit too hard and may need to throttle down that motor or perhaps replace with a bilge blower.

I do realize that this is not ideal and the C0_1 hazard but these are not permanent and I will inspect in the spring when defrost is no longer needed for corrosion etc..

Now, if I do replace the fan or throttle it down, more heat soak should occur between the heater pipe and the air traveling through. Additionally I have not road tested only idled so I anticipate more heat as I piddle around town regardless of cfm through the hose.

Does anyone have an idea about how much cfm the 71 dual oulet blower should blow?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 09:17 PM