Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rust and Floorpans, Does it really spread with no water?
Gudhjem
post Feb 3 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

When I removed by seats to repair my wiring harness last week I casually picked at a piece of tar that seemed to be lifting up from the floorpan... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Yep, I'd long thought my self lucky as far as rust goes, none to speak of in the hell hole, etc, but I am now disabused of that notion. My floorpan, at least on the driver's side, looks to have lots of rust under the tar, no doubt a product of parking outside and window leaks the car had to endure for 5 years. I haven't got up enough courage yet to poke around and learn if it's rusted through anywhere - but I have to admit it might be.

I have two questions:
1. Is it really the case that the rust will continue to destroy my car even if I never let it get wet? Can humidity alone do that? I live in mostly dry California and the car is now garaged.

2. If it turns out that the rust is bad enough that the clean/Por15 strategy wont work, is it possible to weld in floorpans without welding from underneath the car? Seems that every thread I can find about floorpan replacement involves cars on rotiserries or welding gurus that aren't daunted by overheld welds. I'm a decent TIG welder, but not sure I want to tackle that.

--Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:18 PM