Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New guy with an old car, Intro..Long post..
Germanpride
post Apr 6 2010, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,473
Region Association: None

Hey guys, I've been lurking in the shadows around here for a few months now, and now that I've finally started working on my 914 I figured I would post up an intro of sorts.

I come from the wide world of aircooled Vw's, so type 1 based engines are cake, it's these newfangled type 4 engines that have me all confused. I'll figure it all out eventually, but I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask, but I will try to search first! This all started about 8-9 years ago when I went to a friend's house and saw this car sitting across the street, I was 13-14 years old then and really didn't have the money for such a project, but it was always in my mind.

A few years ago I come to find out that the owner of the car was actually a member of the church my dad works at, so he tried talking to him for me, and the guy said he would think about selling it.

After continual bugging, he agreed to sell it to me for $10 about a year later, but was still real laggy, so the deal lost momentum again, until he finally said I could just HAVE it, the stipulation being that I need to take him for a ride when it is back on the road.

I can do that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

A little history, or at least what I know of it, through paperwork found in the glovebox and center console the other day. It was purchased used in 1985, and either the speedometer quit working VERY soon afterwards, or it only travelled 4 miles until 1989. In the fall of 1989, the PO I got it from bought it and drove it home, he noted it needed an exhaust leak fixed, then jacked it up and put it on wheel dollies....for 20 years... Which is how I found it.

It has been repainted the original color, I'm not sure why yet, but it's not the best repaint. The interior looks pretty original from what I can tell, and the car is largely unaltered. The big changes are a conversion to carburetors at some point in its life (40IDF Webers), and a header system.

It looks like it was pretty decently optioned, with what I guess is the appearance package, with the 3 gauges in the center console, leather steering wheel cover and shift boot, Pedrini wheels, foglights and sail panel vinyl. It also has a dealer-installed (hacked) A/C system, and an am/fm radio.

My initial plans for the car are to rebuild the carburetors, bleed the brakes and see if they need redone, tune up and oil change, tires, check suspension, make sure all the electrical works, and buff the paint. So far the carbs are torn apart and are waiting for the rebuild kits to come in, half of the car has been hand buffed and waxed, oil has been changed, new plugs and wires. All electrical but the headlights work (they were shattered), and the starter is not working with the key, but I can jump the terminals. (I think there is a wire at the battery that is disconnected.) It creeped me out when the radio started playing about 15 minutes after I had turned it on.. seems like everything took a little bit before it started working normally.

Rust situation doesn't look too bad I guess, you guys would know better, but the floors have no holes and are still brightly painted under the carpet, the battery tray support and surrounding areas are rock solid, but the battery tray itself will definately need to be replaced. I still need to pull the rocker panels off to really see how bad they are, but I'm hoping they don't need more than patching.

Anyway, thanks for reading this long thread, and here are a FEW pictures for your enjoyment. I totally forgot to upload a bunch of pics, so these are basically as found...sorry..
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i8.photobucket.com-11473-1270588223.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i8.photobucket.com-11473-1270588224.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i8.photobucket.com-11473-1270588225.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i8.photobucket.com-11473-1270588226.4.jpg)

Hah, I guess I should have mentioned, it's a 74 2.0, and if remember right, it's within the first 2-300 built for the 74 MY or so I believe..

One other thing, parts sources, I have found a few, AA, Pelican, Stoddard, is there any sort of feedback threads on any of these? Any other good places I should check out? I am BRAND new to the whole PorSCHA thing. I'd also like to find a good repair manual, I've seen a restoration guide, but I'm not sure that's quite what I need being a n00b, then there's the Haynes manual. Are there no Bentley-type factory service manuals for these, or have I just not found them yet?

Thanks guys, I can't wait to drive this thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Germanpride   New guy with an old car   Apr 6 2010, 03:10 PM
Root_Werks   Great find! :wttc:   Apr 6 2010, 03:15 PM
charliew   If it was my car I would have given it to you afte...   Apr 6 2010, 03:18 PM
tat2dphreak   :wttc: don't forget guys like PMB(Eric Shea...   Apr 6 2010, 03:21 PM
TROJANMAN   :wttc: don't forget guys like PMB(Eric She...   Apr 6 2010, 03:23 PM
tat2dphreak   I'm sure lots of people are ;) we have a mem...   Apr 6 2010, 03:27 PM
TROJANMAN   I was messin' with ya :rebel:   Apr 6 2010, 03:37 PM
flipb   :wttc: What's the VIN? Just curious as mine ...   Apr 6 2010, 03:43 PM
markb   :wttc: Welcome to the insanity. You'll never...   Apr 6 2010, 04:13 PM
Tom_T   :wttc: Great project car find & can't be...   Apr 6 2010, 04:27 PM
zymurgist   :wttc: Definitely replace the tunnel fuel lines. ...   Apr 6 2010, 05:01 PM
KELTY360   :wttc: What is the VIN? It can be found at the lo...   Apr 6 2010, 05:22 PM
Sleepin   BTW, your wheels look to be Mahles, not Pedrin...   Apr 6 2010, 05:41 PM
dlee6204   That looks like a very nice candidate! :wttc...   Apr 6 2010, 05:26 PM
76-914   :wttc: "All electrical but the headlights wo...   Apr 6 2010, 06:22 PM
Sleepin   Don't get the electrical system wet, you will ...   Apr 6 2010, 06:33 PM
Germanpride   Sorry, I guess I forgot to add that I pulled the t...   Apr 6 2010, 07:21 PM
mepstein   Minimal rust, sitting outside for 20 years, it wou...   Apr 6 2010, 07:28 PM
Germanpride   Minimal rust, sitting outside for 20 years, it wo...   Apr 6 2010, 07:52 PM
rick 918-S   :wttc: Another KS guy! you need to get in tou...   Apr 6 2010, 08:15 PM
hot_shoe914   Looks like a '73 model to me. A '74 wouldn...   Apr 6 2010, 08:19 PM
flippa   Nice looking car! :beer2: I had this exact ...   Apr 6 2010, 08:19 PM
Germanpride   I was mistaken, it is a low VIN, but not as low as...   Apr 6 2010, 08:55 PM
charliew   You may want to save the ac stuff as there are som...   Apr 7 2010, 10:59 AM
flipb   :wttc: What's the VIN? Just curious as mine...   Apr 7 2010, 11:05 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 10:35 AM