Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Brake caliper dust boots, Major screw-up
computers4kids
post Apr 6 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

I decided to freshen the brakes up on a 75 that I had picked-up. The brake pads were shot but the brakes worked well and the calipers didn't leak. OK...this should be an easy one...right.

Leaving the calipers brake lines connected, I unbolted all four calipers and removed the brake pads. Installed the first rear caliper with new pads and was making the clearance adjustments...this is where the "oh shit" part comes in. Not thinking I decided to pump the brakes a few times to see how the adjustment went on that first rear wheel.

Yup...got out of the car an saw pools of fluid below the other three calipers....I had fully extended the pistons and two of the calipers ripped the dust boots, but all three shot fluid out once the piston came to the end of its travel.

So what are my choices at this point?
I pushed the pistons back in on all three calipers, but a front and rear caliper tore it's dust boot (I think that's what it's called)?

What's involved in replacing those dust boot seals? I presume those seals are to protect the pistons from dust and are not the seals that actually seal the fluid in the brake cylinder? If they don't seal fluid, how critical are non torn dust boots?

This is the dumbest thing Ive ever done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:58 AM