Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dont Do What I Did, Shifting without Declutching
jabberwocky
post Jul 10 2010, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,653
Region Association: None

A word from the not so wise to the wise. I do not recomend trying to shift a side shift transmision without declutching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . And now I will tell you why.
So last night I was driving home from work everything was going good but I have picked up a bad (well i never thought it was bad before) habbit of shifting my ford ranger by matching my revs and shifting without declutching the engine from the transmision.
I have always figured If i can do this there is hope if i break my clutch cable or some other noncense like grind away a sincro. Anyway I started doing this on the teener up 1,2,3 no prob , down shift 3,2,1 no prob. till i go 1,2,3,4 Crap i cant get it out of 4th. Spent 1/2 hour trying to get it out of 4th in a parking lot trying to bump and force it out of 4th nothing would move (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I had to roast my clutch all the way home trying to drive in stop and go traffic in 4th lucky I only had 3 miles to go but 4th gear is rather high 2nd or 3rd would have not been so bad.
Long story short I was lucky to get on the this site and figured out how to remove the side shifter housing and put the tranny back into neutral using a screw driver.
Now we are back on the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) but I guess that clutch petal is there for more than looks.
Just though I would share maybe someone else will be saved the heartache.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:53 PM