Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> different sized tires on the rear?, had to abandon the 914 at my inlaws tthis evening. :(
VaccaRabite
post Aug 7 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

As I continue to fine tune the car getting ready for the 3 hour drive out tot he ECC, I drove it out to my inlaws Thursday night. Spent Friday crabbing, and then was able to spend all day today tuning. Took several test drives that went perfect.

After washing the car, I noticed that one of the tires (drivers rear) had a 4 inch crack in the sidewall. Less then 2000 miles on these tires too. Dammit!

Anyway I changed the tire with my spare. The spare is a larger tire then the rest of the tires, and I was worried that this might cause me a problem. I think that it did.

When I went to go drive out, I started slowly. Rolling in first I heard the car go: "clunka - clunka - clunka" and I stopped. Backed it right back into my parking spot in my father in law's driveway. My wife was there and I got a ride home with her.

So, my question. What made the sound? Was it:
  1. the rear tires were mismatched, I was hearing the differential eating itself?
  2. The spare tire was not centered on the hub properly?
  3. Some other issue I have not yet thought of?
My guess is number 1, which is why I left the car after rolling it forward about 10 or 20 feet and hearing it not sound happy.

I guess, if I had been smart, I would have taken off one of the front tires and put that on the rear so that both drive wheels were the same and the fronts were miss-matched. We did think of trying that before I left it, but I was exhausted and so was my son, so we just left it until I can get back there with a new tire sometime next week.

The tires are mismatched because the full size spare is in the stock size, but my street tires are smaller diameter.

I don't think I did any lasting harm. As I said, it only went a car's length before I stopped it and backed it back into the parking spot.

Thanks
Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Vacca Rabite   different sized tires on the rear?   Aug 7 2010, 08:45 PM
scotty b   How fast were you going ? Did the sound increase w...   Aug 7 2010, 08:48 PM
Vacca Rabite   I was going, maybe, 5mph. Probably less. Went fo...   Aug 7 2010, 08:54 PM
scotty b   I highly doubt what you heard was the diff or anyt...   Aug 7 2010, 08:58 PM
jsayre914   well, if i remember correctly... your inlaws are i...   Aug 7 2010, 09:04 PM
John   What wheels do you normally run? What wheel was a...   Aug 7 2010, 09:06 PM
Vacca Rabite   My wheels are 4 bolt fuchs. My spare is on a steel...   Aug 7 2010, 09:11 PM
scotty b   My wheels are 4 bolt fuchs. My spare is on a stee...   Aug 7 2010, 09:13 PM
John   My wheels are 4 bolt fuchs. My spare is on a ste...   Aug 7 2010, 09:18 PM
rick 918-S   I was going to say CV joint until I read that you ...   Aug 8 2010, 07:42 AM
Spoke   [*]the rear tires were mismatched, I was hearing ...   Aug 8 2010, 08:00 AM
Vacca Rabite   Okay, good thing to know! I need to get some d...   Aug 8 2010, 08:37 AM
jim_hoyland   Okay, good thing to know! I need to get some ...   Aug 8 2010, 08:46 AM
scotty b   Okay, good thing to know! I need to get some ...   Aug 8 2010, 06:33 PM
tradisrad   My first thought was lugs not being tight, but the...   Aug 8 2010, 07:13 PM
maf914   If the lug bolts are too long they will go through...   Aug 9 2010, 11:27 AM
aircooledtechguy   Too long of bolts for a steel wheel; definitely. ...   Aug 9 2010, 02:14 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:28 AM