Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Problems with wiring tach, oil temp/pressure, senders, ...manual says everything goes through the relay board?
7TPorsh
post Aug 16 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #1

7T Porsh

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

I'm going through dash lights and trying to figure out why some stuff doesn't work. Tried search but am not finding direct resolutions.

I have a 1970 with a 2.0 block, dual webers. I am assuming that the "upgrade" is common one and was done at the same time. hopefully a cam in there somewhere.

At some time the center console was added. With all this 'work", the engine compartment now has tapped and chopped wires, and other loose wires of different color (these don't get power with ignition), etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Most all electric works except for the following:

So I am thinking i have just have to rewire certain things directly.

1- (not working) Tach is getting power and all connections seem stock...of the few loose wires, engine compartment has no visible "brown" wire and nothing is connected to the neg side of the coil other than one wire going to the distributor.

2- I have a temp gauge (gets power doesn't work) in the center console that isn't labeled and goes to 300 so i guess it's oil temp. it gives off one green/blk striped wire that is cut and attached to a purple wire (DAPO?) that disappears down next to the shifter...in the engine compartment there is a purple wire (hopefully the same wire?) attached to the sensor just back and left of the distributor. I changed this sensor (when the old one leaked) with one that was included with the car. Sensor only has one terminal. I don't think it worked before that either)

Idiot pressure light lightens when I start the car but goes out.

I question...is this sensor for the idiot light? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Is this the right gauge for the console? I don't think I have the Taco plate sensor (assuming it's easy to see in the center of the oil sump. Are the oil pressure and oil temp senders similar sizing? All mixed up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

3- With the car off, clicking the turn signal lever sets off the headlight motors (not the lights) going up and down repeatedly. Kinda funny actually. they start out even and then go out of sync...like it's getting dizzy. I know this is wrong.

Should anything happen? I thought I read somewhere that the left and right side of the car is supposed to light...like modern cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) >_>

What in the bindle of wires that come up through the various hole in the engine tin?

Appreciate all suggestions, remarks, etc...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:12 PM