Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HELP! Fuel Problems!, Fuel problem Troubleshooting
clay914
post Sep 8 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,136
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hello all, I'm Clay in Loveland, CO. I just bought my first 914 on the 5th (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . It's a 1972 1.7 FI with 91K on the odometer. The previous owner had bought it 2 years ago and had only put about 2 thousand miles on it. My Father and I are familiar with general mechanics having done quite a few restorations on other vehicles, plus my father owned a 914/6 before he had me...bummer I know. I digress....back to the car.

The body is straight, with very little rust (some in typical places but easily fixed), the motor seems to be a bit cold blooded and wants to surge a bit when it is cold but after about 5-10 mins it evens out and runs well. I have noticed that it seems a little weak in the 2000-3000 RPM range.

Now the problem......

After owning and enjoying my new car for 24 hours (no joke) my baby wouldn't start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Having removed the oil bath filter and using starter fluid proved that I didn't have an ignition problem but a fuel problem. I removed the plug in one of the fuel rails ,turned the key and no fuel and the same before and after the fuel filter in the engine bay. After thinking that over for 10 seconds I realized that when the pump was moved from the engine compartment to the front that whom ever made the adjustment didn't move the filter between the tank and the pump, I will fix this. Having done this troubleshooting I can only believe that the problem lies with the fuel pump located in the front. It hums for a second once the key is turned then nothing which tells me it is on but not pumping. Is there anything else that I can check? Is there a way to test the pump? Please help.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:21 AM