Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Leak down testing help
tornik550
post Sep 13 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

My engine was recently rebuilt and had about 250 miles on it. I was having some issues with cylinder number 3 and I needed to remove the engine.

My buddy gave me a harbor freight leak down tester and I decided to play with it. I do not have the head on cyl 3,4 so I played with cyl 1,2. I have never used a leak down tester. I realize that the engine should be warm however I cannot warm the engine since the other half is out of the car and I cannot wait to play with my new toy until the engine is back in. Here is what I did and the results (I should mention that I was getting good compression numbers from cyl 1,2,4 prior to pulling the engine)-

I set cyl 2 at TDC (also had the rockers removed so TDC probably doesn't matter).
Hooked up the hose to the spark plug hole
Hooked up the gauge section of the tester to the air hose, turned the gauge until the leakage gauge reads 0% (the other gauge read at around 10 psi?)
Then I hooked the coupler up to the hose from the spark plug hole
Read the gauge- 35%

Did the same thing with cyl 1- same results 35%

Just to play around, I decided to leave one of the valves open. I thought it would read 100% leakage- it read 35%- WTF.

It seems that I am not doing something right. Is this simply because the engine is cold?

ALso- Bonus question- How can I tell if my cylinders are glazed? I figure that now is a good time to find out so I can get them honed if necessary.

THanks!!!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:46 PM