Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A few Cylinder Head Inspection Questions
tornik550
post Sep 17 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I had to take out my engine to fix a few issues. I took off the heads to inspect a few things. I figure that since I have the heads off, I should see if anything needs replaced. I really don't know the history of the heads. I purchased them from somebody on the internet. I figure the story that I got from the PO was pretty much worthless. Here are my questions-

1. I removed the springs and valve keepers. How do I safely remove the valves from the guides? The end where the keepers connect to the valve seems to get hung up on the valve guide.

2. How can I tell if my valve seats are worn?

3. Approximately, how much am I looking at spending to replace the valve guides?

4. If there are cracks, are they typically visible to the naked eye?

5. Are there any other major issues that I need to look at when inspecting the heads? I am replacing the entire valve train so I am looking more for non-valve train related issues.

Almost forgot- I am working with a tight budget (another kid on the way).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:49 AM