Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Electrical Gremlins, AARRRGGGGHHHHH
rtalich
post Sep 23 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,913
Region Association: None

A few weeks ago my battery seemed be going dead so I'd put it on the charger over night. But it didn't seem to help... one morning I turned the key, motor barely turned over... I held the key in the start position to try and get the motor started... probably about 30 seconds or so. About that time, smoke started bellowing up from under the dash. So I turned the key off, the smoke did not stop bellowing. I then, as quick as I could, disconnected the battery. Smoke stopped. Not exactly sure what caused the issue but the wires that went from the fuse panel to the stereo were fired and also damaged the GND wire I had going from the stereo back to the battery. I took out the bad GND wire and totally disconnected the stereo. Now the car won't turn over at all (with a brand new battery). When I turn the key, I hear a click, which is the starter trying to turn but then everything goes dead immediately after. I obviously have a short somewhere else but I was wondering if someone could check something for me... I am measuring a little more than 3A when the key is in the ON position (not the start position...). Measured by disconnecting one terminal from the battery and connecting an ammeter in series. Can someone please tell me what they are seeing for current?

Thanks,
Rob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 12:58 AM