Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Strange problem, Pertronix maybe?
Coy
post Oct 24 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,537

Okay I have a 74 2.0 with Hydraulic lifters. I’m running a 050 distributor with a Pertronix electronic ignition and dual Webbers. It’s been running well for about 7 years with this setup. I put new Triad exhaust on it earlier this year and it's kind of loud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Earlier this year it started backfiring and popping and it sounded like maybe I had a collapsed lifter. Ends up I had two partially collapsed lifters but now I’m wondering if that really had anything to do with this problem. Anyhow, I got it all fixed and timed and it seemed good… smooth idle at 1200 RPMs with lots of get up and go for a 4 cylinder. I'm the happiest man in the world!

Then all the sudden the next day, it’s running crappy again; idling at about 800 RPMs and popping every once in awhile through the carbs going down the road. It pops every once in awhile through the exaust too... but maybe it's just feedback from the Triad exhaust, I'm not really used to it yet.

I thought maybe I might have some water in my gas, so I tried some Gumout fuel drier. I took it for about a 30 mile drive and when I got to the next town it was idling smooth at about 1200 RPMs no more backfiring. I'm the happiest man in the world again!

Stopped to top off the gas and when I went to shut it off it over ran like the timing was off. Started it right up and it was idling at about 300 RPMs and kind of shuttering, but it still seems to smooth out on the freeway.

Drove home to intermittent popping and farting and idling at about 800 RPMs before I put it in the garage and shut it off. Messed with it a bit, but it was idling smooth again and reved smoothly.

Next day I drove it about 80 miles. I stopped about 3-4 times and it was idling somewhere up and down between 300 and 1200 RPMs every time I shut it off and restarted it. It occasionally backfires, but still runs really great out on the highway.

Any guesses based on that description? Has anyone else had similar experience with Pertronix? I’ve heard that they can both 1) slowly shit-out on you or that they can 2) just stop working and leave you stranded on the side of the road all of a sudden.

The distributor seems tight and the rotor snaps back when I test it, so I think it’s good. Is there any way to test the Pertronix besides just buying a new one?

I didn’t install this electronic ignition, so I’m not even sure how it works. The backing plate still looks to be in tact; can I just get a set of points and condenser and test the distributor itself to see if it’s going bad all by itself?

Does anyone think this sounds like carb trouble?

Your collective genius is greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Coy   Strange problem   Oct 24 2010, 08:14 PM
kenshapiro2002   Make sure the condenser isn't touching the tin...   Oct 25 2010, 05:17 AM
blitZ   If you are running a Pertronix, then you don't...   Oct 25 2010, 05:51 AM
orange914   If you are running a Pertronix, then you don...   Oct 27 2010, 09:39 PM
cary   Old school ...............have you checked the tim...   Oct 25 2010, 06:50 AM
Coy   Yeah, timing was set correctly, but it does seem l...   Oct 25 2010, 07:29 AM
Spoke   I had similar idle trouble with my dual Webers and...   Oct 25 2010, 08:16 AM
Coy   I had similar idle trouble with my dual Webers an...   Oct 25 2010, 11:34 AM
Spoke   I had similar idle trouble with my dual Webers a...   Oct 25 2010, 01:12 PM
Coy   [quote name='Coy' post='1386703' date='Oct 25 201...   Oct 25 2010, 05:25 PM
J P Stein   I had a Pertronix problem. A progressively fouler ...   Oct 25 2010, 09:38 AM
ThinAir   The symptoms of backfiring - especially back throu...   Oct 26 2010, 12:37 AM
Coy   mmm. That's actually my fear as well. :(   Oct 26 2010, 07:41 AM
computers4kids   Hi Coy! What about a partially clogged fuel fi...   Oct 26 2010, 08:06 AM
Coy   Hi Coy! What about a partially clogged fuel f...   Oct 26 2010, 11:19 AM
Tom   You said you have hydraulic lifters, are they nois...   Oct 28 2010, 09:03 AM
Coy   You said you have hydraulic lifters, are they noi...   Oct 28 2010, 09:49 AM
stugray   I had a similar problem with my Ghia driving acros...   Oct 28 2010, 12:05 PM
Coy   Pulled the fuel filter and blew about 3 tablespoon...   Oct 30 2010, 12:25 PM
Drums66   Pulled the fuel filter and blew about 3 tablespoo...   Oct 30 2010, 12:41 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:36 PM