Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stiffening trailing arms, Anyone done anything like this?
John
post Oct 31 2010, 12:24 PM
Post #1

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I'm considering strengthening the trailing arms.

I have looked at the steel plates people add to wrap around the stock trailing arms and I can understand that this may increase the strength of the trailing arm some, but the weight it adds seems counter-productive and a band-aid solution at best.

I know that this is how dad did it and it's been working pretty good up until now, but I keep thinking there might be a better way.

My idea after looking at my trailing arms for the better part of the last 2 days is to add some stiffeners through the arm box similar to the tube running through the arms to access the inner brake pad adjuster.

The tube is welded to both sides of the box and would serve to keep the two sides from deflecting. This is a brace, and would stiffen the tube member significantly without adding much weight.

I'm thinking the addition of 2 additional tubes would decrease deflection more than the plate stiffeners and will be no where near the weight.

Anyone else think this?

I'm sure in the last 40 or so years, someone else has had this same idea.

I would love to see some pictures or see some results (I hate to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to)

Thanks for reading.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:20 PM