Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 n00b - hasn't started in 8+years
skaufmann
post Jun 15 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Blissfully Ignorant

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,123
Region Association: Southern California

I've inherited a 914 (see my sig for details) and am preparing to start it again after 8+ years of sitting. It's got 101,187 miles on the OD and 4 flat tires. Visible rust is minimal but I haven't dug under battery yet so still some unknowns. It's a SoCal car so there's hope.

It's on jack stands and I'm reading up on what I should do before I see if this runs again. My goal is to first make sure the engine doesn't become a money-pit before I move on and spend money elsewhere on the car. I figured with some basic parts I have a chance of seeing if this will run again.

Here are some details and questions:
  • When car last ran, it had a fuel leak at one of the injectors. I likely know which one as there's a rubber glove tied around it... nice I know. I was planning on replacing the injector gaskets on all the injectors before I start. Don't want a fire.
  • Fuel lines from tank to pump looks to have been replaced already. I'll prob replace them again but not till later.
  • Replacing spark plugs (will replace other ignition parts to fix spark issues or sometime shortly after engine is running again)
  • Replacing oil/filter
  • Gas Tank: There is gas in the tank (about half tank).
    • How do I tell fuel is bad? It smells like gas. Do I just assume it is bad and empty it?
    • If I do, would it be good to use the fuel pump to do so as an opportunity to make sure pump is in working order?
  • Pre-lubricate cylinders: I've read it's a good idea to pull the spark plugs add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the cylinders and let sit overnight before starting to prevent dry cylinder damage. The places I've read this were for V engines. With a flat-4, it doesn't seem I have gravity working for me like a V engine would. Should I still do it or is there a better way to prevent damage?

I expect to replace all other common wear/tear parts either for troubleshooting engine issues or once I get engine running and start investing time/money into the car.

Any additional thoughts or things I've missed would be helpful. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 02:32 PM