Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> AAR restoration, easy
Prospectfarms
post Jun 30 2011, 06:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My AAR was dead. Not only that but it shorted out and ruinined my ignition harness. The hot lead coming from underneath the unit lost its insulation. The valve and the heating element were both inoperable. Here's how I fixed it.

The AAR is a can holding a spring. The spring is really a bi-metal strip curled to resemble a watch spring. It serves as a thermostat. A valve on top of the can is regulated by that spring. The valve admits "auxillary air" to the manifold.

I opened the can by first cutting slots across the top of the "lip." I used a pneumatic cut-off saw. You could use anything that cuts metal. As you can see I was not very careful and it turned out alright.

Opening the can separates it from the valve and exposes the spring. Tow screws are attached to the spring. The one on the side is the adjustment. It is self-explanatory given that it controls where the opening of the valve is in relation to the spring.

The other screw retains the spring to the valve shaft. It provides a handy place to put a small screw driver so you can turn the valve back and forth. I loaded the valve with penetrating oil. I had to remove the spring to really work it until the valve turned smoothly. The spring comes on and off easily. There is a tiny cotter pin holding the shaft in place, but you don't have to remove it.
Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached ImageAttached Image
Attached Image

Excuse the duplicate photo. Next...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:06 AM