Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Alternator Circuit, Information? Advice?
HarveyH
post Aug 20 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 843

Well, I need some advice on the charging circuit.
Original problem: I was out with the car for the afternoon and early evening. Started up and turned on the headlights and the alternator light came on, not full bright, but more than just a glow. Turning off the lights dimmed but did not extinguish the light. Got it home with no problem but the battery was well discharged.

Recharged the battery and cleaned connections throughout. Did some voltage checks: 12.57V at the battery posts with the engine off. Started engine and voltage at the battery dropped to 12.43V, this voltage held constant with increasing RPM, but the alternator light did not come on. Pulled the Voltage Regulator and did a field test on the alternator, voltage at the battery increased with increasing RPM, over 16V at 3500 RPM.

Got a new electronic voltage regulator (Bosch 0 192 062 007) from Interpart. Now the alternator light is off at idle but lights more and more brightly with increasing RPM. Voltage measurements: engine off: 12.57V, engine at idle: 13.42V. Only took it up to about 3000RPM and voltage was over 15V.

I figure the new electronic regulator is shorted, allowing full alternator output back to the battery. I’ll try and get them to exchange for another, but, is the 12.43V enough to keep the battery up? I thought it should regulate a bit higher than that.

Thanks,
Harvey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:21 PM