Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Removing Front End - It's Stuck
pjf
post Oct 11 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

I'm trying to drop the front end of my '76 and could use some help. I tried to search for a step-by-step procedure but couldn't find anything. My search skills are not the greatest but I did try. Does anyone know of such a thread I can look at? I have a short procedure. I've followed it but I must be missing something. I've unbolted the shocks at the top, disconnected the break lines, removed the cross member shroud, removed the master cylinder, and unbolted the steering linkage in the passenger compartment. I've put two jacks under the cross-bar and removed the torsion bar bolts at the front and the two crossmember bolts in the back. I can get the whole assemble to drop about an inch especially after driving the torsion bars back a bit. What seems to be the problem is the steering rack. It looks like its hanging up as it passes through the body. There are several plastic/rubber shrouds around the linkage so its hard to see what's going on. I unbolted a bracket that went across shrouding in the gas tank compartment but its still not budging. It seems that the torsion bars have to go back further to clear the end covers that are fixed to the front and at the same time the steering rack linkage through the body to the passenger compartment wants to go forward. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 01:59 AM