Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 96mm Big Bore, Rings - Advice Needed
74914LE
post Jul 26 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,895

Advice Needed:

The engine that the 96mm Big Bore Kit (1.8ltr) is installed in is a 1.7ltr that has
the heads fly cut to accept the larger size. (This is an NPR kit from about 12 years ago)
Before the new set up had 25 miles on it, #3 exhaust valve came loose in the seat. Killed the motor before things got out of hand, and fixed this problem. From the looks of the tops of the pistons, the setup was running too rich. Now that I am ready to put things back together, I know that I should have the glaze taken off the cylinders, (The original honing is still visible on them) and clean the carbon off the pistons. My question is should I, or do I have to replace the rings? They look almost brand new, and there is nothing to clean from inside the grooves on the pistons. I picked up a set to install, but I do not want to waste perfectly good rings, if these will seal if given the opportunity.
Your thoughts are appreciated.

74914LE
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:02 PM