Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is using RTV always a no-no?
Scott S
post Oct 26 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

I have been cleaning/replacing/replating as many little parts as I can while doing my conversion. Last week I replaced the square rear transmission cover at the the tail end of my tail shifter with a newly replated cover and a fresh factory gasket (thanks again Doctor Evil). The thing now leaks like crazy.

When I went to replace this gasket several years ago, I could not find one locally and did not have the time to order one (I was driving the car daily), so I made my own from cork gasket material that I purchased at a local FLAPS. Worked great for 15 years.

The factory gaskets are paper. I am wondering if it is to thin and/or has a lack of compression thickness. I am assuming that they are a dry install. Would it be a total hack job to add a bead of RTV to either side of the gasket? I have one new one left. I sure dont want any of that stuff getting into the transmission.

Or - I can get out the cork and the sissors again.......

Any thoughts are appreciated - thanks!
Scott S
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:03 PM