Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 Aluminum trans damage, Need a few opinions on repairing damage
6fahrer
post Aug 2 2004, 10:01 AM
Post #1

Der Grosse 914 Auf-Fahrter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,311

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I recently received a late model side-shifter transmission that had been shipped through one of the standard overland express carriers (don't recall which one and the package wasn't insured). The unit was in good overall condition upon arrival, but I notice that in transit, it had taken a hit on the driver's left side suspension point that resulted in the "U" mount part of the aluminum case being broken off. I found the broken piece in the crate.
I'd appreciate some advice from others as to what my options are for repairing this important suspension attachment point (if any). Can a weight-bearing member such as this be successfully welded back on? My understanding is that aluminum is the most difficult metal in the world to 'weld' and it strikes me as possible that the strength of such a reattached component fitting, after undergoing such a process, might not be sufficient to warrant safe re-use of the transmission. Any inputs on this technical question welcomed. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
6Fahrer
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:55 AM