Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> VDO Oil Temp Gage Question, 'cause I'm feeling really dumb
76-914
post Nov 2 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I've been F*$#%ing this old dead dog for too long and need help with this. This is in my 73. I added the console with the correct harness. One of the gages added was the console Oil temp gage VDO 0-300' scale. I also installed the sender that was ordered with it. It would never give any reading. I checked volt & cont and found that the original 3 prong plug must be flipped so I thought that I probably fried it. I installed a factory gage and SoB it worked. To be sure I installed the factory sender in place of the newer one. (BTW, the factory gage read appx the same with either sender.). 12 engine hours later I buy another gage but before installing it I did 2 things. I flipped the plug and then I tested the new gage in place, jumped to the 3 prong plug for S & + but jumped the sender with a separate ground then placed the sender in a glass of boiling water boiling. It worked great. On a hunch I tested the "fried" gage whilst set up and SoB. It worked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) So I drain the oil, clean strainer, chase the threads to be sure there is no sealant to break ground, change out the sender, copper and paper gaskets and reassemble. Start the car and SoB, it doesn't work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Do I need to run a separate ground from the gage to sender? Why wouldn't the sender ground thru the engine. Does it come down to those 2 small bolts eventually contacking the case half? Why does the factory style gage work without interference? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 11:45 PM