Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Swaybar intall ANGER - help!, how important is that 3rd bolt? pics
nebreitling
post Aug 8 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

i really hope that i'm missing something here, because it looks like the factory was smoking crack.

i had the gas tank out to replace the fuel lines. as long as it was out, i thought i'd install my recently aquired 21mm Weltmeister. My car came with the 15mm sway, so I thought it should be a pretty easy swap.

The triangle shaped bracket is secured by 3 bolts. the top two come in and out easily. the third (bottom) bolt's nut is hidden underneath some sheet metal compartment -- access to which is extremely limited by a small hole about two inches behind the nut (see pics).

with one finger in the hole, i was able unscrew and extract the nut from this 3rd, bottom bolt. Putting a nut BACK ON the bolt is another process entirely. i've tried everything -- including sticking magnets in my latex gloves to hang on to the nut. so far i've lost 2 washers and a nut down in the bottom of this "hidden compartment." i'm sure they'll make a lovely rattle as i motor down the road...

has anyone confronted this? how important is that third bolt? how important is the sheet metal covering it? (a little jig saw work could open up some access). thanks

nathan

from the outside: it's the bottom bolt i'm talking about.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nebreitling   Swaybar intall ANGER - help!   Aug 8 2004, 07:16 PM
nebreitling   from the inside. you can see the top two bolts. ...   Aug 8 2004, 07:18 PM
nebreitling   and this is how i'm dealing with the frustrati...   Aug 8 2004, 07:29 PM
rdauenhauer   isnt it the consensus that this application requir...   Aug 8 2004, 07:35 PM
nebreitling   how would i get them on with the metal there?   Aug 8 2004, 07:38 PM
trekkor   This might sound insane :wacko: ...but it might wo...   Aug 8 2004, 07:39 PM
rdauenhauer   You have to cut a small notch on that rail just ag...   Aug 8 2004, 07:40 PM
Rider914   A self tapping sheet metal screw, or better yet a ...   Aug 8 2004, 07:46 PM
trekkor   :agree: Of course. Disregard previous "hillbilly...   Aug 8 2004, 07:48 PM
nebreitling     Aug 8 2004, 08:50 PM
Brad Roberts   Nathan, those backing plates are 29.95. We stock ...   Aug 9 2004, 02:22 AM
Bruce Allert   Those backing plates that Andy shows is much easie...   Aug 9 2004, 07:03 AM
Eric_Shea   Weld in the plates that Bradhole is talking about....   Aug 9 2004, 07:23 AM
Engman   Yep you need to have the backing plate. I have em ...   Aug 9 2004, 07:38 AM
nebreitling  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:39 PM