Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Auto-X problem - with Video!, I have a crankcase pressure issue
Tom Perso
post Aug 9 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #1

Crazy from the Cold...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,003

Hey Guys,

I took the 914 out this weekend for my first Auto-X. It's a 74 slantnose with stock suspension, a stock front swaybar, and Yokohama A-008R's on Empi rims (they are just the Auto-X rims).

The motor is a Raby-inspired 2270 "C" motor (with too large intake valves).

I had some issues at high RPMS with blowing oil out of the valve cover gaskets and pushrod tube seals. I only had one vent on the case (at the oil filler) and I determined that I needed a little more venting due to the higher displacement and higher RPM's.

I had a second set of valve covers, so I drilled and added a 1/2" barbed connection that sits above the retaining bail (on each side). I vented each valve cover up to the air filter cover for the Webers.

I took the car out for a little spin and no more blowing oil! I figured I had success...

So, fast forward to the event. I take off around the course and at the first long sweeper and I bumped 7000rpm. I really needed second gear for where I was at, so I figured I'd get it right the second time around...

So, after that long sweeper, I start blowing oil out of the exhaust - badly. But it didnt last for long. I still had good pressure, so I dropped down to second gear and limped around the rest of the course.

Around the last sweeper I blew some more oil and then the motor almost quit at the ending gate.

To make a long story short, I sucked more oil into the carbs and finally fouled the plugs.

Here's the pathetic video...

http://www.qtm.net/~persot/914_smoke-1.wmv

So, should an external breather box help the situation or did I got wrong with adding the vents to the valve covers?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:51 AM