Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Clutch cable/clutch, clutch cable/clutch
partwerks
post Dec 3 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

I'm a little confused about what my mechanic is telling me here lately pertaining to the clutch and pressure plate that he THINKS I need.

It started when I had the clutch cable break at the back and so I bought a Terry Cable and had him put it in. The first thing I noticed is that the clutch pedal sure pushed harder. Well, about 4 months down the road (no pun intended) it breaks again.

So I ordered another Terry Cable and had him put it in. On closer observation, on the front end of the housing where the cable he took out, comes out the hole, it was oval/egg shaped as the cable was rubbing on the housing, apparently at an angle, I'm guessing and ultimately rubbed it till it snapped.

Ok, so he got the cable put in this time again and the clutch pedal is pushing with the normal resistance as before, but now he is telling me that he doesn't think that the clutch "feels right" and thinks that I need a new pressure plate and clutch. I think he is talking about on the rear end and not the pedal itself.

A. I'm wondering if he had got the first cable installed correctly as to why it had rubbed a oval shaped hole?
B. If this pedal is pushing normal again, why would I need to rework the clutch?

From others opinions of him, he isn't dishonest. He wanted me to park it till he gets it sorted out. I have it parked in my garage. I don't see any reason NOT to drive it. He didn't move forward with adjusting the cable shifter in the back as I wanted him to, cuz he thought it would be a waste of time if he put in a new clutch, which would be true if it really needed it.

Since it is NOT pushing harder as before, would lead me to believe that it is NOT rubbing like before and should be safe to drive w/o worrying about it snapping again I would think??

Ultimately, a couple of club members are working on a set up where I could use the Subie trans with my Subie engine and circumvent this whole soap opera?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:50 PM