Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hi/Lo Headlight Relay, 4prong vs 5 prong?
jPs
post Aug 26 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,554

Hi All,

I picked up a 914 a week ago and am trying to iron out a few bugs before I get it back on the road and have reached a point where I sure could use a little advise. So here it is: The headlights won't switch between hi/low and in trying to figure this out I took the steering wheel off to check the turn/hi/low switch. It looked good and so after cleaning it all up I still didn't have much luck. So I then took the relay out (on the fuse panel) and noted it looked new. The PO I got this from had given me some extra parts and I noticed the old relay mixed in with them. The difference between the two is the new one is 5 prong, the old is 4 prong. I put the old one in and it would switch between hi/lo but not all the time.

So, I called the porsche dealership and the manager was very helpful and suggested I contact the guys over at the VW side of the dealership and have them order the new relay as it would be cheaper. I picked it up today and it was the same 5 prong I already had. In short, I went back to porsche and ordered what will hopefully be a 4 prong but the guy said the parts sheet didn't show if it was 4 or 5 but we'd find out. So I guess my question is will the 5 prong work and if so anyone know how? The schematics look close but I don't do electronics very well and basically am clueless. One thing I know for sure is if I can get the new 5 prong working I could save some cash for other items I need.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:10 AM