Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Check the little stuff
Marlow
post Sep 7 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,027

I bought my 914 about 2 years ago and have been working/driving it since. It's my good-weather-weekend-cruiser. The PO seemed pretty knowledgable about the car and had mostly restored it about 10 years ago. I could tell (from working on it) that he was a bodyman and not too good with electrical. He had most of the work done at a local Porsche specialty shop.

Working on the car over the weekend I was trying to find the source of a high-speed vibration from the front end. I narrowed it down to a couple of things;

1. No weights on the front rims. I can see where they were but are no longer.
2. Taper bolt that holds the ball joint to the shock was ridiculously loose on one side. I could actually see the play when moving the tire back and forth. Scary.
3. NO cotter pins on the castle nuts for the tie-rod ends on both sides! Very scary.
4. Wheel bearings loose on one side.

The moral of this story? Don't trust the PO!!

After checking all that stuff I was surprised that I hadn't managed to kill myself on one of my joy rides. Seems the PO or his mechanic did NOT know what they were doing.

I did not get a chance to test drive the car. The tires have been on it for so long I think they may be permanently flat-spotted. Not worth getting the wheels balanced as I plan on replacing the tires and getting an alignment.

I still detect a small amount of play somewhere on both front wheels. The wheel bearings are tight. No discernable play in the ball joints or tie rods. Is it common to feel some play in the steering rack itself? The play seems to be the same from both sides of the car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:36 AM