Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Smoke = Bad news, Fried ignition wiring -- why?
BMartin914
post Sep 24 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #1

|||

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As I went to drive the 914 last night, I started it up (started fine) pulled it out of the garage and let it idle while I closed up. Got in turned on the lights and started to check and make sure my lights were working, signals, etc. As I try the left signal, it goes out, then the lights and I notice smoke billowing out from behind the dash. I turn it off and push it inside, take the lower part of thedash apart and find the ignition wiring fried and the key is VERY hard to turn in the ignition.

This week, I noticed a broken ground in my left tail light, I took it apart and reworked the post with a small screw/nut and a new lead to the ground connection. I can't understand how this could have caused the wiring to fry, but I know it was probably a contributing factor. The light is grounded and works so I don't understand what the problem might be.

My left marker/rear light fuse is blowing again and agian and I thought that the broken ground wire was the problem -- no dice. I don't see any broken wires or bad connections and I have traced all of the wire I can get to from the fuse box.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be here?

Thanks

Ben
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 02:24 AM