Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Headlight switch options:, Who's added an extra relay?
Prospectfarms
post Apr 9 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Quik search reveals HL switch a common point of failure.

Long NLA, I saw a late-model NOS selling for $285, which is less than the last OEM price. Way too much for me, and I have an early switch anyway.

Since the switches are prone to break down, it doesn't feel satisfying to replace it with a used switch that's likely to fail soon anyway. (Sorta like the MPS problem.)

The late Lapuwali suggested several times that a VW switch (@$40 OEM, $20 aftermarket) could be converted of 914. His reasoning was they functioned the same: 1 Off, 2, Non-keyed power to parking lights, etc., 3. Keyed power to headlights. His theory was that the Porsche switch internally ganged terminals while VW combined the wires before entering the switch and therefore VW switches had fewer connections. He proposed an adapter plate that spliced the proper terminals that could then be connected to the VW Switch. I couldn't find a thread where that had been accomplished

The other school of thought is to relay the headlight part of a functioning light switch, prolonging its life. This suggestion confuses me because my reading of the diagram is that the "combination relay" already does this. For instance, current for the headlights seems to be supplied from 56 on the relay via closing 56 on the ignition switch. In other words, the HL switch does not carry the headlight current. So why another relay?

Am I mistaken? Anyone done either modification? How?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:14 AM