Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A recent thread got me thinking, Now I need bigger jack stands
JStroud
post Apr 15 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

I was recently reading a thread about how to lift your car to work on it without a lift. Seems I was doing about the same as most, jacking one end or side, then the other till you get it high enough to get it on jack stands.

Attached Image

I was never to fond of the approach, and it just took to long. Just to get it like the picture above it would take 20 min or so. Then you are still limited to what you can do. But can't afford a lift, So after reading the thread I decided to work on an idea thats been building in my head. I went around the ranch and started grabbing anything I thought might work, remember I'm a CSOB so I wanted to use material I had and not have to spend too much....in case it didn't work....who said that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Got out the chop saw and welder and went to work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Have you guessed yet. A little paint.

Attached Image

Well here it is, platforms to hold the front wheels, angle iron across the front to keep the correct width and act as a wheel stop. 8' ramps so the angle is valance friendly, and my car is lowered a couple inches. The bonus is now I have 914 friendly ramps for my trailer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) And when i'm not using it, heavy duty end tables for the garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image

Simple to use, drive up till the front wheels touch the angle iron. Chock the front wheels.

Attached Image

I welded two nuts on top of a heavy piece of square tubing, to fit into the donut holes so it can't slip off, then with a jack in the middle lift the back end up and put jack stands under the square tubing.

Attached Image

Once its up and on jackstands then you can take the ramps out to give more access. All my jackstands are old school, and I've welded nuts on top to fit in the donut holes, so I guess its time to buy some new jackstands. Maybe taller too, couldn't quite level the car with my jackstands maxed out anyway.

Attached Image

Now thats what I call room!

Total time to set up, drive up, jack up the rear and put on jack stands with ramps pulled, then put ramps back, lower, drive off, and put away.....Under 30 min.
And thats with taking pictures. Oh total cost $20, had to buy carriage bolts. Ok now I'm too tired to work on my car...time to start... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Jeff

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 07:44 AM