Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need a recommendation on a clutch
jtg
post May 16 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,153
Region Association: South East States

Hi Guys. I need some help. I'm not experienced with clutches and need a recommendation on my 914 clutch. Right now I have 5000 miles since total restoration. I have increased the power of my motor and the clutch makes a bad smell every time I accelerate at max throttle. I have a new Sachs clutch and pressure plate. The clutch disk has the 6 springs and the plate has part number 3082 183 331. I believe it is the standard one now for 914's and the original one on the model 911T's. My motor is an electric (Netgain model Warp 9) that others have put on a dyno and it produces a max of 157 HP and 277 ft lbs of torque. Max torque is at zero rpm. Since I have recently upped the power I believe that is producing my clutch problem. (My power is easily varied via software in the controller.) I believe the original 914 engine put out about 138 ft lbs. and 76 hp. Using the Haynes manual I have checked clutch pedal play and adjustment.

I need advice on what to do. My 914 is to much fun as it is so I really don't want to reduce the power. I get 0-60 times less than 9 sec now with my weak driving skills and a slipping clutch. Can I accept a little burning clutch? Bad Idea? Change the clutch out for a stronger one (maybe Kennedy mk 4)? Switch back to the weak gas engine? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any comments. This group has provided invaluable information during my restoration.

Jim
http://www.evalbum.com/3439

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:13 AM