Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Start of a New Begining, My First Project Car, Help Appreciated.
dfelz
post Jun 15 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #1

beach bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,538
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Everyone!

This past sunday 6/10/12, I purchased my first project car. It is a "barn find" ready to come out of it's 20 year deep sleep, and i need all the input I can get!

The Facts:
1972 Porsche 914, 1.7L Sun dual carbs
No fuel pump (went out about ten years ago) or battery
Has been in a garage in SoCal since just after 1990
Was not stored properly (tank was left with gas in it, seals werent lubricated, was left resting on tires not jack stands so the tires are goners....)
Floor pans look great! front and rear trunks, cockpit, and battery tray area are 100% free of rust! the only rust spot is on the inner rocker panels, I will be able to gauge the damage this weekend.
There are some aftermarket features on the car, but the extent is unknown to me, they were from previous previous owner. So far I can see the exhaust and shifter have been tinkered with, will be able to see the full extent when the car has been stripped more.

The Plan:
AutoX track car!
First order of business, I need the car to be rolling so it can be rolled in and out of garage when needed. To do that I want to first complete the suspension rebuild. I was thinking of putting 911sc suspension on, since it bolts right on nicely (from what i hear). I want the car to be a 5 lug set up and not a 4 lug, with bigger brake calipers, new blisteins, all new bushings, a-arms, trailing arms, a sway bar....and so on.
Along side the completion of the suspension in the next few months, I will putting a new lead acid in to test for electrical functionality all around, as well as installing the fuel pump for carbs with SS lines kit from Tangerine Racing. I will remove and THOROUGHLY clean both carbs. I have rebuilt a carb once before, it was on a 250cc kawasaki ninja R... took a little work. I am going to remove the gas tank from the car and clean the shit out of it, literally, clean all the goop that has built up form 20 years of aging gasoline. Now I was born in 1990, so help me out, was the gas from the station leaded gas at that time? will the valves have to be changed to work with unleaded gas that we now get at the pumps?

I need help with what else HAS to be done before I can fire up the engine and see what i really have to work with. Before i do any major engine/tranny work, I would like to know their current state.

The Future: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Roll cage, racing bucket seats, 5 point harness, wieght reduction all around... and what ever else is needed to compete in autox events.
I also what to weld on the 10 piece chassis reinforcement kit.
In the far future I would love to do an engine/tranny transplant, with hopefully a subbaru flat 6, but for at least the next 5 years i plan on just building up the my car with the engine it has. And an engine rebuild is in the future for the current powerplant, its just not top priority as of now...

I am currently living in Woodland Hills during the work week, temporarily relocated for an internship. but on the weekends travel back to my house in Walnut where my car is being stored and worked on, by me and good friend. So I will only be physically working on the car over the weekends but will be researching and posting here during the week!

I am posting pictures from sunday night when the 914 arrived in its new garage so you can get a visual idea of whats in store.

Like I said, any and all comments, suggestions, referrals, parts, ext... will help me on my journey ahead. Thanks!

-David

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
dfelz   The Start of a New Begining   Jun 15 2012, 11:53 PM
Cracker   :wttc: Get ready to get your hands dirty!   Jun 16 2012, 12:22 AM
campbellcj   :wttc: Chalon or some other body kit? As you no...   Jun 16 2012, 10:13 AM
dfelz   :wttc: Chalon or some other body kit? As you n...   Jun 18 2012, 01:47 AM
dfelz   :wttc: Chalon or some other body kit? As you n...   Jun 18 2012, 01:48 AM
SirAndy   battery tray area are 100% free of rust! Start...   Jun 18 2012, 12:00 PM
dfelz   battery tray area are 100% free of rust! Star...   Jun 21 2012, 11:53 PM
ThePaintedMan   Very cool! Welcome to the madness. Do you know...   Jun 22 2012, 01:05 PM
dfelz   Very cool! Welcome to the madness. Do you kno...   Jun 22 2012, 06:46 PM
SirAndy   From the feel and sound i actually think they are ...   Jun 23 2012, 09:26 PM
ThePaintedMan   If you don't mind me saying, I would be skepti...   Jun 24 2012, 10:57 AM
dfelz   If you don't mind me saying, I would be skept...   Jun 26 2012, 02:40 AM
ThePaintedMan   It is definitely different. Like I said, I always ...   Jun 26 2012, 08:54 AM
jmill   The Plan: AutoX track car! I was thinking...   Jun 27 2012, 01:47 PM
dfelz   That's similar to the route I'm going. Th...   Jun 30 2012, 06:32 PM
jmill   Check out Rebel Racing also. http://www.rebelraci...   Jun 30 2012, 09:32 PM
dfelz   Check out Rebel Racing also. http://www.rebelrac...   Jul 2 2012, 08:41 AM
dfelz   So since the suspension is taking longer than anti...   Jul 10 2012, 11:57 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:09 PM