Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suspension Advice of my 914-Sixer
shoguneagle
post Oct 12 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #1

shoguneagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Well, here goes on seeking advice and comments on another item I need to possibly change. I just ran my car around for the past two days and it seems I have built a perfect racing suspension which is not ver good for the road. At my age I would like an excellent handling road car. The suspension I have does not allow any movement in it and when I do hit the "frozen ice cracks in the asphalt" it does transmit the bump through out the car. I even put about 100# weight in the front to equalize and see if it would cause the suspension to have some movement. Boy, do I have an excellent race suspension.

What do I have????

The front consists of a completely rebuilt/new suspension components including rack and pinion, 21mm after market sway bar, 22mm torsion bars, koni inserts red set on light suspension, etc. The suspension I have just listed causes the front end to move when going over a rough surface and appears to move around on me.

The rear suspension consists of rebuilt/new components including 180# springs on adjustable perches, Koni Red adjustables set to lightest, etc.

The front and rear suspensions are mounted on Elephant Racing Bronze inserts with zert fittings, new hardware bolts, new ball joints, etc.

Where I need comments and information is regarding any possible changes involves the front torsion bars and the rear springs.. Any comments/advice regarding the rest of the suspension that may need changing would be appreciated.

I am thinking of changing the front suspension to 19mm stock originals to lighten the stiffness and possibly give more movement in the front end. The rear would be changed to 140# springs with the rest of the suspension remaining as built. I could possibly go to the 100# springs if deemed necessary.

I need to find out where I can source any parts needed such as the torsion bars and springs. I may have original 911 front stock torsion bars and 914 rear stock springs in my parts bin.

Do you think I should return everything back to original suspension???

Car is powered with 3.2 1987 Carrera Sixer with a "Doc Evil Built and Blessed" 901 transaxle.

Need advice/comments. What do you think????

Thanks,
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
shoguneagle   Suspension Advice of my 914-Sixer   Oct 12 2012, 03:56 PM
eric9144   I'd start with the obvious and only change out...   Oct 12 2012, 04:04 PM
shoguneagle   I like your information and advice. I do like a s...   Oct 12 2012, 04:13 PM
wingnut86   Is the steering puck a delrin part? If so, that w...   Oct 12 2012, 05:34 PM
mr914   Learned long time ago. Big torsion bars or big swa...   Oct 12 2012, 06:50 PM
toolguy   best all around combination for a six. . rears 1...   Oct 12 2012, 07:54 PM
shoguneagle   Thanks for all the expert and respected advice. ...   Oct 13 2012, 12:16 AM
Cairo94507   This issue has been one that I have been very conc...   Oct 13 2012, 06:09 AM
shoguneagle   I think if you are building a road car you will fi...   Oct 13 2012, 10:20 AM
Zeke   Hey Steve! I'm sure you know the balance b...   Oct 13 2012, 10:34 AM
shoguneagle   Hey, Milt, Great hearing from you and you still v...   Oct 13 2012, 03:59 PM
Eric_Shea   Nothing over 19 up front both torsion bars and swa...   Oct 13 2012, 08:18 PM
shoguneagle   thanks, Eric, for your inputs. I have found 18mm ...   Oct 13 2012, 10:22 PM
Eric_Shea   Agree. Keep the 21 but adjust it full soft. Good l...   Oct 14 2012, 06:31 AM
patrick3000   You don't mention tires, what are you using?   Oct 14 2012, 06:54 AM
Eric_Shea   :agree: Karl brings up another good point. I...   Oct 14 2012, 06:57 AM
Eric_Shea   Sorry for the multiple posts. Just began readin...   Oct 14 2012, 08:06 AM
shoguneagle   Now this thread has developed into an article of e...   Oct 14 2012, 02:43 PM
Eric_Shea   You should love it with those changes. I didn...   Oct 14 2012, 03:17 PM
shoguneagle   Yes, I really have enjoyed building this car and m...   Oct 14 2012, 11:45 PM
wingnut86   Eric, Admins, et al, I recommend we move this thr...   Oct 15 2012, 06:21 AM
Eric_Shea   The sidewall you see on my car will give it a much...   Oct 15 2012, 12:25 PM
shoguneagle   I agree that the increased side wall will give you...   Oct 15 2012, 01:08 PM
shoguneagle   The final update on my car suspension will involve...   Oct 29 2012, 10:23 PM
Eric_Shea   Sounds like you've dialed in a winner! :t...   Oct 30 2012, 10:33 AM
shoguneagle   Thanks, Eric. I believe I have found the winner f...   Oct 30 2012, 07:21 PM
sean_v8_914   good read.   Oct 31 2012, 01:20 AM
Peashooter   This is great stuff! I am always looking for i...   Oct 31 2012, 11:02 AM
Eric_Shea   Hey Bill, How's the project coming along? 7...   Oct 31 2012, 06:42 PM
Peashooter   Hey Bill, How's the project coming along? 7...   Oct 31 2012, 07:24 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:47 PM