Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Science Project: Panel Bonding Adhesives
shuie
post Nov 18 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,075

Has anyone ever done a floor pan replacement or other major structural metal replacement with panel bonding adhesives instead of spot & seam welding?

The bond is supposed to be as strong as a proper weld, there would be no worries about overheating and warping the metal, the entire seam would be joined & sealed which should make the tub A LOT stiffer. It would certainly be cheaper than buying a welding rig. I guess the downsides would be that working within the setup time for the adhesives could be difficult and you would need a lot of clamps. Maybe the unibody would be too stiff if every seam was joined like this?

My interest in this is academic. This is not something I am planning on trying since I've already welded almost all of my replacement panels in. I do need to use an adhesive to attach a fiberglass piece to my steel hood and I've seen threads on the forums where reputable shops have attached metal flares with adhesives so I thought I would ask about it. I'm sure there is a good reason why I have never seen anyone use the adhesives for something like a floor pan.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:04 AM