Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> steel fuel line buzz
eyesright
post Dec 3 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

A coupe of years ago I replaced the original fuel lines with steel brake lines. It is a '72 with original FI and fuel pump relocated to the front by PO. I used a right angle fitting at the firewall rather than bend the line. On driving, the fuel lines buzz with a harmonic at all speeds that isn't nearly as prominent when not moving. I have covered the exposed lines with old rubber lines and secured them pretty well but no effect on a still noticeable buzz.

I am replacing the fuel lines now in a '76 and have steel lines long enough to bend.

If the harmonic buzz in the '72 is from cavitation at the right angle joint when there is significant fuel flow, then this should not occur with the '76. (I recognize that there is fuel circulation even at idle, but I don't get near as much harmonic buzz at idle. And it'a a much higher buzz than I would expect from road vibration.)

In the future I'll really tie those suckers down in the engine bay and where ever I can reach in the tunnel in the '72 to see if that helps or replace them with longer ones like the '76 if that is successful.

Has anyone had this problem or any ideas to offer?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 11:05 AM