Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Callin the Cap'n or other engine Yodas, Manifold vacuum gauge readings
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 7 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I took the advice of a few folks on here and finally got around to buying a quality vacuum gauge. As a primer, I've had all kinds of issues, from carb synching, timing, etc. But I think I've finally got it running fairly well. The car is a '73 with a 1.7, dual Weber 40 IDFs.

Anyhow, I did a compression test the *right* way this time with the throttle open and after the engine was warm and got 110 across the board. Not great, but not awful. Next I moved onto checking the vacuum on each manifold port at the base of the carbs. I get wildly, but consistently fluctuating numbers on each cylinder. By that I mean, at idle, each cylinder displays the same thing - the needle bounces from 5-17 mm Hg instead of a steady number. I've been reading up on this at:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=476817

and the great animations at:

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/S...VacuumLeaks.htm

Is it then possible that I have FOUR burned exhaust valves? I had been suspecting I had at least one for awhile, due to seemingly high CHTs on #3, "sucking" coming from the tailpipe and the fact that #3 doesn't suck nearly as much air from the velocity stack as the others. But now I'm suspecting a larger issue. Is it possible that both heads are loose? I see some oil leaking from the cylinder-case junction, but don't see anything from the head-cylinder junction. Would it be worth taking the in off and trying to retorque all the head studs, if nothing else, for piece of mind?

-George
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:23 AM