Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> VDO Tach Upgrade, replacement for internal electronics
914GT
post Nov 11 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd like your comments about a project I'm working on. I have made a single integrated circuit design that replaces the old-technology internal VDO tach circuit. This is a more modern frequency-to-voltage converter (actually it's freq.-to-current) and it has several advantages over the original. Here are the key improvements:
  • Internal voltage regulation and noise transient/surge protection
  • Jumper selectable for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines
  • Stable with wide temperature and supply voltage variations
  • Better performance over stock units that have been modified for 6 or 8 cylinder engines (improved response, etc.)
  • Simple calibration adjustment
  • Wide range of input voltages, from standard points ignition and *should* work on most electronic ignitions (only needs a couple volts input signal)
  • High input impedance

I've made a prototype circuit board to finalize the design for bench-test, and I want to lay out the final board next. I planned to design it to replace the original circuit board. This does make it harder to get at the cylinder selection or calibration. It would be nice to keep the board inside the tach and not have something mounted on the back. Would most people be willing to remove the bezel to attempt doing this? That's the hardest part, using a small screwdriver to carefully pry the rim off. The rest is pretty easy, small screwdriver and soldering iron are needed.

So, any interest in this? I'll build one for myself, but if this is something that would be popular it's possible for me to build up more as a kit. This would be for others like me who don't want an aftermarket tach and to keep it original-looking. Thanks for any suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:18 AM