Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> MPS mystery, huh
r3dplanet
post May 1 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Last winter I had some fun rebuilding my MPS unit, which is for a '73 1.7 liter engine. The MPS part number ends with 049.

According to the calibration tests on the pbanders website in conjunction with my trusty Meterman LCR55 and MityVac, the unit is perfectly calibrated. It holds vacuum without issue. The readings at 15, 4, and 0 in.Hg all match perfectly. And I mean perfectly. No variation from what the LCR55 shows to the pbanders table.

The mystery is that when I hook it up to the car the engine won't start. It tries to start and I can sort of force to keep going by blipping the gas, but it won't idle on its own. However, when I install another verified trashed out unit, the car starts right up and idles and climbs smoothly.

Um. Huh. I'm hoping that there's some other adjustment elsewhere in the system that my tired brain won't remember. Somehow maybe my car is adjusted to work around the (leaky) old MPS? Or maybe I didn't rebuild the MPS correctly. But it was in and out of the thing for days and I'm convinced the physical operation is correct. But I'm always willing to be wrong.

Confused.

-m.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:59 AM