Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> '81 911 SC Oil leak question / Looking for mechanic
rjames
post Aug 15 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum, admins please move if necessary.

I have a cousin who's husband just died of cancer. He owned an '81 911 SC Targa that has just under 100k miles on it. He drove it sparingly up until about 10+ years ago when he parked it in the garage and it sat. Last November he had the engined 'worked on' so he could start driving it again. He then drove it regularly for 6 months up until May when he passed away.

In the last 6 months it has sat without being driven, ~90% of the oil leaked out. Upon quick inspection it looks like it had oil leaks from the pushrod tubes and the valve covers, but the bulk of the leak looks like it was coming from the front of the engine. I only had a vew minutes to crawl under it with only the light from my phone. Oil tank and cooler were clean.

I'm trying to help my cousin assess it's value (in part to detirmine if I should buy it). I've told her to find a good mechanic to get an asessement before moving forward on anything and if possible, try and find out what the last mechanic did to it.

Questions:
Would a bad main seal cause that much oil to leak in 6 months?

Anyone know a good Porsche mechanic in Spokane, Wa I can refer her to?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:40 AM