Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Opinion - Tires, Speedometers, Odometers, and MPGs
dcecc1968
post Aug 27 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,313
Region Association: South East States

So I purchased a 914 last year that has 7-yr old Yokohama AS430's 205-50-15's, with lots of tread, but one of the tires is bad (sidewall is splitting). I'm debating whether to purchase one replacement tire or to replace all 4 (since they are all have an old manufacturer's date). I'm debating whether or not to stick with the wider tire or to go back to stock size.

Everyone here seems to like the wider tire than the stock tire, but doesn't this produce inaccurate speedometer readings (9.1% according to the tire calculator tool) and I believe produces a falsely high mileage reading as well? Also, I guess this would really make by MPGs look a lot better as well.

I want to use mine as a daily driver, not for autocross (well maybe.. who knows). So my question is do the wider tires help the 914 perform much better than the stock size tire under these driving conditions?

Before I drop lots of $$ of new tires, I'd like some feedback from the experts.
Thanks,
Don
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:39 AM